Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is an American holiday (the Canadians celebrate it also, just a month earlier), but we didn't have to miss out on it just because we are not in America. Since there is an abundance of American expats here in Doha, we were able to celebrate with others. This year, Thanksgiving fell at the beginning of the Eid holiday, so many people had work/school off and travelled away on vacation. Our ward (group of church members) organized a large Thanksgiving dinner for those that were in town and encouraged us to invite any friends who would like to celebrate (read: eat good food) with us. We ended up with well over 200. Although there was a TON of food, I felt like I got the perfect amount & enjoyed turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, vegetables & pie. Not everyone is American, but who can say no to great food, friends, and a time to be grateful. It was fun to be able to celebrate together.

I hate that Thanksgiving is often passed over or placed on the back burner while Christmas preparations take over. Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas, and it is a very important holiday for me, especially its meaning, but for me, preparation for Christmas include sufficiently remember the blessings I have and showing gratitude as I focus on them. So, I Christmas decor stays hidden away until after Thanksgiving, which is celebrated by its own decorative reminders.

We have so much to be grateful for this year. We welcomed a healthy baby to our family. Travis was able to graduate with his Masters Degree. He has a job that provides well for our family. We have the great blessing of technology that allows us to keep in touch with family even though we are thousands of miles away. We are all healthy, and we are blessed to have the gospel of Jesus Christ in our lives.

*Sorry I forgot to take my camera to our Thanksgiving dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Your Thanksgiving sounded wonderful! Glad you were with friends and lots of good food! I like your ideas about keeping Thanksgiving special by not letting Christmas start until after Thanksgiving. Good entry for Christmas to express our gratitude. Love, Emolyn

    ReplyDelete